Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Katanas good starter bikes?

5 posters

Go down

Are Katanas good starter bikes? Empty Are Katanas good starter bikes?

Post  FASHER 17th November 2010, 5:11 pm

Well, are they??? bounce bounce bounce

FASHER

Back to top Go down

Are Katanas good starter bikes? Empty Re: Are Katanas good starter bikes?

Post  Kreylyn 17th November 2010, 5:28 pm

First... my history...

My first street bike is my Kat that I still own. It's a 93 Kat 750, straight off the show room floor. Love the bike, love the memories, highly recomend it to anyone looking for a good solid sporty touring bike.

As a first time ride for someone with no experiance, No.

It was too much for me. To heavy, to much go fast, and ultimately... the main reason I had several accidents early on in my riding experiances.

I believe that a smaller bike in both weight and cc size would have been alot safer, and would have resulted in significantly less accidents that I would have been in.

Mind you, almost every accident I was in was under 45mph.

Krey

Kreylyn

Back to top Go down

Post  HS2020 18th November 2010, 1:00 pm

Welcome Michelle.
HS2020
HS2020
Admin

http://www.mopowersports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Psycho1 8th December 2010, 3:19 pm

I think a Kat 600 could be an "ok" starter bike for some people, but I strongly lean more towards the 500cc twins (GS/EX) for most new riders, possibly a 250 for extremely small, lighter riders. My only complaint with something like the Ninja 250, is the amount of power and acceleration available at highway speds. For an average weight adult, there just isn't enough available on a 250 to accelerate away if you happen to notice a car comming up on your back tire when you're already going 65-70mph. Most 500's still have enough power left in reerve to get the job done at legal hwy speeds, and aren't much heavier than the 250's. As far as Kat's go, I think there are some more mature people starting to ride, that aren't necessarily going to be as wreckless and daring as most teens and young adults would be. IF ridden with extreme caution (after say at least a MSF basic rider safety course), I think the kat would be fine for some new riders. I've met people that have been riding for many years that I still wouldn't trust on any bike, let alone a Kat, while I've ridden with some "newbies" or short time riders (under 2 years) that seem to be very good safe,competent riders. What works for one person, may not work for everyone else.l

Psycho1

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa Kat 11th December 2010, 11:09 am

My wife just learned how to ride a bike this past summer. At the END of this past summer. She practiced on my '93 Kat 600. I guess it's all in how comfortable you are. I didn't feel like dumping 1 or 2K on a 250CC just to have her grow out of it in a few months. My opinion...Yes, great starter bike...For the MATURE people! Not old mind you...Mature. At any rate...WELCOME TO MPS!!!

Pa Kat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down