Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diet or spring?

3 posters

Go down

Diet or spring? Empty Diet or spring?

Post  SKNL2 25th November 2010, 12:54 pm

Kristy and I just picked up a 2002 Aprilia Futura and love it!! We're only having one small issue and I was wondering if it could be remedied cheaply.

The rear suspension is set up a little soft and at its hardest setting, we're still dragging the centerstand AND the sidestand. How hard would it be to re-spring the Sachs shock to better handle both of us + luggage for our cross-country trip in the spring?

Diet or spring? 150549_1640642969850_1050085464_1798116_1400445_n

SKNL2

Back to top Go down

Diet or spring? Empty Re: Diet or spring?

Post  HS2020 25th November 2010, 2:32 pm

Should not be to hard Mark. Did you talk to Ron to see what he had done to his in the past. I know he would drag his center stand but not the side one. I know Terry can give you a really good answer.
HS2020
HS2020
Admin

http://www.mopowersports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SKNL2 25th November 2010, 7:37 pm

Yea, he bought a $1100 Penske shock for his. I was hoping to be able to come in considerably cheaper than that. Laughing

Ya was hopin' Terry would have the answers.

SKNL2

Back to top Go down

Post  Tmod 26th November 2010, 11:39 am

How much does the couple weigh?
What percentage of time is Kristy on the back?
Could you measure the sag for me (You will need another helper or two) Use the sheet located Here.

I know I have a pair of 1.0 front springs and I know I can install a gold valve in the rear shock which would help out the valving portion, Do you have a compression adjuster for that rear shock or just rebound and preload? I can also get a spring and if I have to make a spacer for it, I do this all the time and there is nothing wrong with doing it that way.

Tmod
Tmod
Tmod
Admin

https://mopowersports.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SKNL2 26th November 2010, 7:38 pm

I'm around 190. Kristy's around 135. We want to set this bike up as primarily a two-up machine so assume she will be on the bike 100% of the time. I would rather suffer when solo riding than when two-upping it. I have the Gixxer for solo days.

Would you be able to work with a used unit if I bought a spare so the transition wouldn't require the bike be down?

The shock only has preload and rebound damping adjustments. I feel like the rebound can be worked with, we just need more spring. Plan is to work with the centerstand a bit more to trim it down some, but I foresee a problem if we're dragging the centerstand AND the sidestand....and that's without luggage.

Here's a photo of a shock like ours.
Diet or spring? Aprili11

It uses a collar to preload the spring that moves downward as you turn the knob.

So...what say ye?

SKNL2

Back to top Go down

Post  Tmod 26th November 2010, 7:53 pm

Yep I can work with a used shock no problems.

The problem with just changing the spring for a stiffer one is you would need to crank the rebound all the way in to keep it in check and then you closed down the compression as well. Also the high speed rebound will still not be correct for that spring.

Anyway if you just want a spring the price would be $95.00 for the spring and if a spacer is required around $15.00~$20.00 for that. IMHO I would go for the revalve as that will give you a nice rear shock for alot less than a Penske, The price on that would be right around $385.00~$415.00. That would include a new spring, gold valve, oil seals, oil, nitrogen charge valve, spacer and labor to rebuild it. I don't know your budget so there are the options.

Also the sprints use the same adjuster just without the knob on them. I have rebuilt them in the past as well.

Tmod
Tmod
Tmod
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SKNL2 29th November 2010, 8:01 pm

After I got a used unit ($75 or so) and then went the gold star treatment, I would be only around $200 shy of a purpose-built Penske unit for this bike with remote rez, and 4-way adjustability. Real life budget is well short of that. Thanks, though!

SKNL2

Back to top Go down

Post  Tmod 29th November 2010, 8:20 pm

Hmmm I must be missing something here, If the Penske goes for $1100.00 and you get a stock shock for rebuild say at $75.00 and then go with the revalve at $400.00 you are looking at a total of $475.00 which is $625.00 cheaper than a purpose built Penske.

If you want just a spring I can do that and while that will make it better it still will not be where it should be shock wise. Let me know what your budget is and we can go from there.

Tmod
Tmod
Tmod
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SKNL2 29th November 2010, 9:36 pm

I looked around some and found the Penske 8983 set up for my weight for $777 + shipping. I misquoted Ron or something. Heck, I dunno. For what would end up being around $500 for a revamped stocker or a brand new Penske unit with a remote reservoir for $275 more...I'd have to go with a Penske. It may as well cost a $1,000,000 though, cause we can't really afford more than $300 or so. Crying or Very sad

Anyway...having the stock unit rebuilt and resprung with two-up riding in mind would probably be the best we could afford at the moment. Ugh! Suspension is 'spensive!

SKNL2

Back to top Go down

Post  Tmod 29th November 2010, 9:55 pm

Yep suspension is spensive, Well what I can do is re-spring a stock shock and then add a shim or two to the stock piston. That would run right around $235.00 + shipping. That would include the oil, seals, nitrogen charge valve, nitrogen and a couple shims. That would improve on what you have. Think it over and let me know what you decide.

Do you ride year round there? If not send me your shock when you are done riding for the season.

Tmod
Tmod
Tmod
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SKNL2 29th November 2010, 10:28 pm

So far we've still been riding. Sort of practicing, if you will.

What's the turnaround? I suppose we could "suffer" for a short time. Very Happy

I am sure that soon enough we'll get snow...once the roads are salted is when we usually give it up.

SKNL2

Back to top Go down

Post  Tmod 30th November 2010, 4:25 pm

Turn around will really depend on making a spacer and getting the spring to fit correctly without limiting the shock travel, You might be surprised at how many springs are adjusted so they will coil bind before the shock bottoms out. I would shoot for about a week turn around but I would much rather have you wait until the salt is laid down, When spring rolls around I will still stand behind the product and if you don't like it I will trade out the spring or change the rebound valving.

Let me know.

EDIT: I purchased a Futura shock off of Ebay and when I get it I am going to tear into it and rebuild it, If you are interested in purchasing it when I am done that is fine. I will take your shock in trade if you want or I can just sell you this one outright. If you decide to go some other path that is fine as well. I bought this shock as many say it is not rebuildable and I thrive on that kind of stuff.

After I get the shock information will be posted to this thread on my site.

Tmod
Tmod
Tmod
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum